What are ingrown toenails?
An ingrown toenail is a painful condition characterized by the nail digging into the surrounding skin, leading to inflammation and possible infection of the toe. This is a serious condition for people with impaired circulation, diabetes, or other systemic diseases.
Causes of ingrown toenails:
- Improper nail trimming.
- Shoe pressure.
- Poor foot structure.
What can you do?
- Trim toenails straight across as a preventative measure.
- Select the proper shoe style and size.
What will Dr. Allen do for you?
- Perform a physical examination.
- Perform x-ray evaluation when necessary.
- Remove the ingrown portion of the nail.
- Culture the nail.
- Prescribe appropriate medications, such as antibiotics.
- Perform surgical correction of the nail when indicated.
Infected Ingrown Toenail