What is neuroma?
A neuroma is a painful condition often referred to as a pinched nerve, swollen nerve, or nerve tumor. It is defined more specifically as a benign growth of nerve tissue frequently found between the third and fourth toes. This may result in pain, burning, tingling, or numbness between the toes and in the ball of the foot.
Causes of neuromas:
- Improper or ill-fitting shoes.
- High heeled shoes.
What can you do?
- Change to shoes with lower heels.
- Wear supportive shoes with a roomy toe box.
- Soak and ice.
What will Dr. Allen do for you?
- Perform a physical examination.
- Perform x-ray evaluation to rule out other causes.
- Recommend padding and taping.
- Prescribe custom orthotics.
- Prescribe anti-inflammatory medication.
- Administer cortisone injections.
- Perform surgery when indicated.